How to Install Your Own Security System
Watch the full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz-Fh70zTB8
Kevin O’Connor helps a homeowner install a wireless alarm system. (See below for the shopping list, tools, and steps.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
Watch new episodes of Ask TOH: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,,00.html
Shopping List for How to Install Your Own Security System:
– Wireless alarm system
– Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
– Video security camera
Tools List for How to Install Your Own Security System:
– Cordless drill
Steps for How to Install Your Own Security System:
1. Pick a central location in the house and plug the base station into an electrical outlet.
2. Install an entry sensor on the front door by first pulling the plastic tab to activate the internal battery.
3. Peel off the protective paper from the back of the battery sensor to expose the adhesive strip. Press the sensor onto the door.
4. Remove the peel-and-stick backing from the magnetic sensor and press it onto the door’s side jamb, making sure to align it with the battery sensor.
5. Repeat the previous three steps to install entry sensors on windows and other exterior doors.
6. Mount a wireless motion sensor to the wall just inside the front door.
7. Install wireless smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout the house.
8. Mount the digital control keypad to the interior wall right beside the front door.
9. Program a personal pass code into the keypad for arming and disarming the alarm system.
10. You can also operate the system with a key fob or smartphone app on your cell phone.
11. Configure the video security camera to your home’s Wi-Fi system.
12. Plug the camera into an electrical outlet. Then test the system.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
We want to work for you