Ask This Old House home technology expert Ross Trethewey installs a DIY security system.
SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
Time: 1-2 hours
Cost: $800 and up
Skill Level: Beginner
DIY Security System
Smart Doorbell Camera
Indoor Security Camera
1. Plug in the security system hub at a location near the front door. To prevent it from being unplugged, it comes with a outlet cover plate that will hold the plug in place. That is installed using the same screw as the cover plate.
2. Download the app that corresponds with the security system and then scan the hub’s QR code to register it to your phone.
3. Scan the motion sensors using the app and then secure them to desired doors and windows using the provided adhesive. Put the motion sensor on the trim or wall closest to the door and window, and place the contact sensor on the door and/or window itself.
4. Rewire the smart doorbell camera to the existing doorbell chime using the screwdriver. Replace the doorbell cover plate outside with the smart doorbell. This should only require a few screws.
5. Identify any vulnerable areas in the house that have not yet been covered and install an indoor camera to cover those areas. It just needs to be plugged in and the QR code will need to be scanned.
Ross installed a variety of different sensors and cameras that are manufactured by Nest (https://nest.com/), including the Nest Secure alarm system, Nest Hello video doorbell, Nest Cam IQ Indoor, and Nest Detect motion sensors. To install these devices, all you need is a screwdriver.
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more on This Old House and Ask This Old House, visit us at: http://bit.ly/ThisOldHouseWebsite
How to Install Your Own DIY Security System | Ask This Old House